Saturday, January 05, 2008

The Year That was 2007

Another year has come and gone and I cannot believe how fast this year has gone by. Life seems to get faster as I get older and I’m always struggling to play catch up. In a blink of an eye, December is over and I am staring at a brand new year. So let me sit and look back at the year that was 2007.

January: This year I decided to go with a theme instead of a resolution and my theme was to be open to new things. I don’t really believe I fully embraced the whole theme, but I did find myself saying “Yes” to things I normally wouldn’t do. I tried not to let the monotony of my life bore me or bring me down, and I found ways to keep myself busy.

One of them was beginning the house hunt, which I’ll touch upon later and the other was my goal to read 20 books, which I’ll go into further detail in another post.

I also got to go to Vegas for work where I did more partying than actual paying attention in meetings.

February: I turned 27 this month and as always let everyone know what special holiday it was. This year was low-key compared to years past; I didn’t need all the hoopla and it just shows that I’m getting older. Besides, 27 sounds like such a yucky number, no reason to get all excited for it.


I also went to North Carolina for a nice fun weekend.

March: I finally got my ass out to California to visit my brother. It has been three or four years since I was last out there and probably a year or so since I had last seen him. I had a blasty blast out there. I went skiing up in Lake Tahoe, visited the Redwood Forest, and spent a lot of quality time with my brother and his fiancé. Since we live on different coasts, we don’t see each other often and it was nice to hang out with him and catch up. Hopefully he’ll make a visit out here in 2008.

April: Comcast is the devil! And I bitched and moaned about it for days on end (geez, you’d think my life was over, actually those were the worst moments of my life ever!)

My cousins from Thailand were visiting and my one cousin is still here living at my parents trying to get into graduate school. They always take such good care of me when I go overseas that I tried to repay the favor and took them sightseeing and shopping.


May: Was the month of two fun filled crazy weekends. In a span of two weeks I went to two weddings, a graduation, a spring fling dance, partying with the gays and white water rafting.

I have never been white water rafting before and it was exhilarating. My main goal was to stay in the raft and only fell out once, which is pretty impressive. I went with a crazy crew and to see our adventures, click here. Kudos to Kiah for setting this trip up.

My friend Gwen finally tied the knot with her boyfriend and she looked so happy and radiant. My friend Sylvia also got married and it was one huge party that I almost missed my white water rafting trip. And my friend Michelle gradated from medical school. I am so proud of her.




June: I went down to SoBe to help my dear friend Shama celebrate her birthday (Man, I did not realize how much I traveled during the 1st part of the year). My good friend Jessie was also able to join me and it was trouble all over again. We stayed out late every night drinking and dancing and it was a show. I’m so glad the three of us were able to hang out and relive our hottie days.


I also started dating Mr. Nice Guy, which was a huge step for me because normally I would’ve said no. This is me trying to work on my New Year’s theme.

July: The final chapter in the Harry Potter series was released and for a week my life stopped. J.K. Rowling is a true artist and never before have I been so engrossed in a book. I barely got any sleep during that week because I could not wait to find out the fate of Mr. Potter and friends. I’ll say it again, if you’ve never read one, seriously go to your library and start reading.

I attempted to put my va-jay-jay on lockdown and failed miserably. I swear, I’m such a man at times.

The Nice Guy and me didn’t work out. We are good friends now and will meet up for dinners or go out to the movies. It’s very nice and there are times when I wish I felt more, but know that he deserves a hell of a lot better than me.

August: Was a very hard month on me. And while this month was emotionally draining, I really learned a lot about myself and grew a lot because of it. This month was a huge defining point for me and I think I’m a better person after my experiences.

My biggest goal for 2007 was to purchase my own home. The housing bubble began to deflate and I felt financially secure enough to start looking. Finding a house to me I could equate with how some girls wanted to find a husband. I felt like this was the next step in my life.

The first weekend I went out, I found my dream home! It was this adorable one-bedroom condo in the same community as my best friend. I fell in love with it the minute I walked in and put a contract on it the same day. I could not believe how lucky I was and that my dream was finally coming true.

I slowly started to prepare myself for the move and then fate threw me a wicked curve ball. And just like that, I lost my dream home. I was completely devastated, angry and betrayed. I could not believe this was happening to me and so close to my settlement date.

I was very bitter for the next couple of days, but instead of letting this incident bring me down or allowing my negativity to get the better of me, I recognized that things happen for a reason and that you can’t let it get the best of you. I could’ve let this unfortunate affair destroy me, but instead I sucked it up, pouted for a few days, and got right back out there and continued my search for my real dream home.

In addition to all the madness, one of my closest friends Kiah moved to the West Coast. I am so proud of her and admire and respect her greatly for following through with her dreams and ambitions. I can’t wait to see you in February in keeping with our tradition of celebrating our birthdays.

September: In a moment of carelessness, I backed into my neighbor’s car and my poor Gus Fiona had a dented bottom. I truly have no one else to blame but myself for not paying attention. She was so close to making it a full year unscathed.

I also got suckered into taking care of my friend’s cat, Peppers. I have decided that Mr. Weasley is enough cat for me and that I’m not quite ready to be Crazy Cat Lady.


October: After a month and a half of diligent searching, I finally found my true new home! I was a bit nervous and weary about the home buying process, but my realtor was phenomenal and really worked with me to find exactly what I was looking for. She made the experience very enjoyable and I’m super doper happy with my home.

I continued a destructive pattern/behavior with a boy. I was slowly reaching my breaking point with him and knew that something would have to change. But could I really do it?

November: I moved into my new place and have been loving it ever since. I was meant to be here. I still need to paint the walls, but there is no rush. It will happen in due time. Unfortunately my pet frog Dropsy didn’t survive the move.

I let go of my addiction with the boy. It truly was an addiction. I was addicted to him, the way he made me feel, the pain, the pleasure, the rush, the excitement, and the chase. I really believe this is the end. His pull isn’t as strong as it used to be and I don’t miss him the way I used to.

My family and I had to put my baby boy Puppy to sleep. My little guy, God, I still miss him. My parent’s house seems quieter and emptier without my rambunctious Fat Dog greeting me. He had so much life and love to give. I wish I could kiss him and hold him just one more time.

December: Since I traveled so much during the first half of the year, I needed one more getaway. My friends and I went to the Big Apple, where we mainly drank our nights away. It was a hella of a good time.


Wow, looking back 2007 was a huge year for me. I did not realize how much fun I had and how much I actually did this year. From buying a new home, to all my trips, I think I gave myself a new outlook on life. Overall the year was amazing and I really learned to adjust my attitude and perspective on life. I learned to enjoy the good and the bad and that life goes on whether you want it to or not and only you can control your outlook. I take it back; I do believe I followed through on my New Year’s theme.

No comments: