Sunday, February 25, 2007

Birthday Musings

As you all know I proclaim my birthday to be my favorite holiday and the most important day of the year (who needs Christmas?). I usually like to celebrate my birthday for the entire month and milk what I can with the free dinners (see dinner whore). And despite the fact that I have a countdown to my left, this year I’m not feeling my b-day. I’m rather blah about the whole thing.

Last year I was really excited for it. My friends and I decided to have a party at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds where Sean works. We decorated and had a really good time. But this year when it came to planning something, my heart wasn’t in it. I feel no hoopla surrounding this event and just find myself not very enthusiastic about my birthday.

I am officially entering my late 20’s. It’s kinda scary. I have been an adult for quite some time now, but I think this birthday is really hitting home to me that I haven’t been a pre-adult for a few years now. I already had my mid-quarter life crisis back in 2005 and I doubt I have fully recovered from it. I am more stable now than I was then (at least I like to think so).

As when you get older, I have more insight as to who I am as a person and continue to grow. Twenty-six was overall a good year. A lot of interesting developments happened for me and I learned a lot about myself through the whole process. I am slowly beginning to understand that it’s the journey and how we get there than the actual destination.

Maybe this is what happens when we get older. It is no longer about the party and how we celebrate the birthday, but just understanding that I have grown another year and seeing how I can make 27 the best year possible.

And I can’t say that I didn’t celebrate at all. Friday, Sean dragged Kiah and I to Cancun Cantina. Its not an establishment I would normally lounge at, but I had a really good time. It was definitely an experience. I will post the pics from that night in my “weekends in pictures post.”

And Saturday, Kiah and I had a nice dinner party with a few friends and a few rounds of Asshole. We planned everything very last minute, which for me was due to the fact that I’m so blah about it all. I thought the dinner party was a nice low-key way to celebrate and actually be able to enjoy everyone’s company for the evening. It was very grown up of us (ignore the rounds of Asshole). And sorry no pics from this one. Maybe when the actual day comes around, which is in 2 days, 8 hours, 49 minutes, 33 seconds and counting, I will be all about my b-day, and looking forward to my presents. BTW, Where are all the presents?

PS. HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIAH!!!!!

No comments: