Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Road

I have finally finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy! Geez, it has been a slow start for me regarding reading books. I’m just too tired when I get home and The Road had such dark undertones that I didn’t like reading it at night.

The book follows a man and his young son in a post-apocalyptic world where some unknown event has crippled mankind. The world is covered in ash, civilization is gone with only nomads and scavengers to roam the land. The man and his son have only each other to rely on and must navigate the road to reach the southern shore.

As I mentioned it took me awhile to finish reading this book not because it wasn’t good, but because it was a dark novel and I was afraid of bad dreams at night. But, wow, what a profound and stunning book. It was like an epic poem; the writing was so beautiful, the prose so striking. Even with the gloomy feel, the novel was not bleak at all. The love between the father and son was uplifting and embodies the greatness within humanity.

Even in this desolate world there is still hope. They have seen the viciousness and brutality of mankind and yet still believe there are good people out there. Instead of giving up and succumbing to despair, they continue to push forward and survive.

I found the father/son relationship so touching, it broke my heart; their utter love and devotion towards each other is so moving. Not once do they give up on each other. Its so breath taking and raw. I cried for them and I prayed, prayed that they would make it.

This book was a masterpiece and I’m so glad I decided to pick it up and read it. McCarthy is such a gifted writer. He captures the best and worst that this world has to offer and really makes you think and believe.

No comments: