Monday, August 13, 2007

Fate & Destiny, Destiny & Fate

I am a firm believer in fate and destiny. I believe that fate intervenes in your life and that your destiny is right around the corner if you so choose it. It’s the Asian in me. Thai people are very superstitious and believe that your life has a path and the choices you make can lead you or deter you from your predestined course.

I don’t know if I would say I believe that my entire life is mapped out for me and irregardless of what choices I make, I will end up at my destiny. I do believe that perhaps certain things or events are destined to happen and that’s where fate comes along to guide me to make the proper choices to lead to my destiny. I firmly believe that you have to create your destiny and you’re in charge of how your life turns out.

So here is where my debate comes in. Growing up I used to think that if I didn’t act upon something, it wouldn’t happen. I couldn’t leave it to just fate; I had to make it happen. And I believed that if I didn’t act upon it, I lost my chance. I could never be patient and wait, I had to force things to happen because if I didn’t than who did?

Now that I’m a bit older, I’m not so quick to act rashly. I take a step back and question my motives behind my actions and sometimes think I should just let fate decide. But its so hard for me to sit back and not take an active role and just go with the flow. The little girl in me wants to charge blindly forward meeting life challenges head on; and the woman in me whispers its ok to not always be in control and to allow what may come be. For once in your life just sit still and acknowledge the quiet surrounding you and let fate lead you to your destiny.

It hard to train yourself after so many years of engrained thinking. It’s hard for me to sit back and not act, but I need to stop grasping for things that are too far out of my reach. I believe life has a plan for me and that good things do come to those who wait. I believe I have taken a few detours but fate has always guided me back and I’m supposed to be where I am right now.

I’m at the brink of entering a new phase in my life. I’m ready to embrace it and face the joys and challenges that lay ahead of me. Certain doors have closed, but new ones will open. I can let go of old memories and create new magical ones. I’m ready for chance to lead me to new discoveries and opportunities. That doesn’t mean I’ll always be a passenger and when fate throws me an opportunity, I’m not going to ignore it. I just want to sit back and enjoy the ride.

No comments: