Sunday, August 26, 2007

Shocking News

Last Thursday was a very shitty day for me. I got some really upsetting news. The developer of my condo called me to inform me that they would be canceling the contract on my new condo. I was at work, when she called me. When she first told me the news, I did a double take and asked if she was joking. Unfortunately she was not.

I was in complete shock when she started to explain the situation to me. Originally I was supposed to be closing this upcoming Thursday, but the developer called me two weeks ago notifying me that they would be pushing my settlement date to September 18. When I asked why, she gave me some bullshit excuse about needing internal approvals on their end and with people being on vacation it wouldn’t happen right away. So we rescheduled everything and I was annoyed that they waited two weeks before I was to settle to tell me this. But I didn’t think anything was wrong or thought to question further.

I was disappointed that I wouldn’t be closing in two weeks, but just sucked it up and rescheduled my moving date and took a break from all the packing. When I got the call about terminating my contract I was devastated. Apparently the current developer is being sold to another development company and the new development company has decided to keep the units as rentals instead of converting them into condos. And there is a clause in my contract that they can cancel without notice prior to closing. So they are in their legal rights to pull the rug from under me, but it doesn’t ease the pain, hurt and rage that I am feeling.

I was livid on the phone. I kept saying “Unacceptable” and come September 30, I won’t have a place to live since I have given notice to my leasing office. The developer’s compensation for me is that I can rent the exact unit that I wanted to purchase at my current rent with one month’s rent-free. OMG, I’m jumping up and down at this exciting opportunity for me. Instead of purchasing a place that I fell in love with, I can lease it for a year with a clause that I can break my lease at any moment! What a slap in my face. They have got to be fucking kidding me that I would be happy with this option.

I also brought up the point that they knew this could happen two weeks ago and why wasn’t I informed of this turn of events when they postponed my closing. Their answer was that they thought the new developer would still move forward with all the current contracts. I pointed out that if they had told me this could happen two weeks ago, I could have cancelled my contract and made new plans, but no, I thought everything was ok and that I would still be closing on my new home. I wasted two weeks by not looking for something else. These motherfuckers won’t even compensate me for my moving deposit or my $475 application fee for my mortgage. I seriously think they should reimburse me for that and more!

Luckily I won’t be homeless at the end of September. As tempting (can you sense my sarcasm) as their offer sounds about renting my dream home, I called my leasing office and found out that my apartment has not been rented out yet, so I just cancelled my notice to move out. There is no way in hell I would move there after the shady tactics and the way they treated me.
I am so angry. Yesterday I had a mini-breakdown where I kept screaming and wanting to punch the shit out of my walls, but the walls and my poor hands don’t deserve that. Tears were raining down my face and I just felt so helpless and defeated. Out of all the things that could happen like not being approved for a loan, I never expected this. I never thought in my wildest dreams that my contract would be terminated. I was so looking forward to moving and decorating my new home. In my mind I was already living there. It’s a huge disappointment that I won’t be doing that now.

I know that everything happens for a reason and that fate has intervened for some reason, but it’s really hard for me to see the bright side of this right now. Everyone keeps telling me that this place wasn’t meant to be and I’ll find a new home that’s even better than the last one. And I’m sure they are right, but it’s hard not to be discouraged about the whole thing. I really am trying to keep a positive attitude and not allow my negative thoughts to take over. I just fell in love with that condo and I was so close to moving into it. I’m just afraid that I won’t find a place where it just felt perfect like this place did.

No comments: