Tuesday, August 07, 2007

My Semi To-Do List That Isn't a Real List

Ugh, I have so much to do between now and when I move. I am the world’s biggest procrastinator and have no idea where to start. First thing I should do is go through all my crap and figure out what needs to be packed and what needs to be junked. I’m thinking I’m going to get rid of a lot of shit. No need to make my new place look cluttered or dirty. I am going to purge myself of unnecessary items.

I need to cancel my landline and Internet connection with Verizon. I hardly ever use my home phone. When I first moved into my apartment, I was living in the stone ages and still used dial-up, hence needed a phone connection. (It took me forever until I upgraded to DSL, and currently I use the lowest speed connection.) I think I can live without a landline, and although I think Comcast is the devil my new home isn’t set up for FIOS, so I will have to settle for the evil that is known as Comcast.

I have already cancelled my gym membership. Sacrifices have to be made and I do not go to the gym on a consistent enough basis for me to keep it. I will have to learn to run outside like all the regular folks out there. And I really hate street running.

I also have to decide which moving company I am going to use. Sadly, I am running low on reliable male friends that I can sucker; I mean, ask to help me move. Besides, I’m on the third level at my new home and there is no elevator. My bedroom furniture is quite big and bulky and I wouldn’t want any of my friends to throw out their backs trying to tackle those stairs. I’d rather just hire professionals. Even though my Dad wants me to rent a truck and just hire day laborers to move my stuff. That ain’t happening. I really like my furniture and do not want to see it crash down three flights of stairs into sticks.

I need to place follow-up calls with the sales office and my mortgage broker and make sure everything is on track for me to close at the end of August. I need an official close date and walk through. I plan on moving immediately after I close.

After I move, I have to clean my old apartment inside and out. I will probably have to steam vac the carpets again and do a thorough scrubbing of the kitchen and bathroom. I want my freaking deposit back! It’s going to take me at least two full weekends to make this place spotless. God, when did I become so messy? Must remember to change this behavior before I move into my new condo.

I’m sure the list goes on and on, but those are the priority for right now. I have made some progress. I packed up all my DVD’s tonight! Yay me!

3 comments:

S. said...

I can name one reliable, cute, sexy, full of personality, male friend that you CAN'T sucker! Congrats on the new crib!

--Stephen

Anonymous said...

good job. i wish we had packed and gone thru everything...cuz i am doing that now, AFTER we moved!! UGGGH!!!!! andcleaning the condo SUCKED we waited till the LAST minutes UGHHH and we shampood the carpets...
we were gonna get rid of the land line....but i guess its not bad to have one for an extra $30..i mean...if i cant find my phone, or its dead...or whatever. moving sucks!

Bernie said...

I hate moving, probably because I've done it at least 25 times in my adult life. For all but the last two moves, I used borrowed vans or U-Haul trucks, sometimes driving them crosscountry. I've enlisted friends, family, neighbors, day laborers and one time I moved everything I own completely alone because I couldn't sucker, uh I mean persuade anyone to help me. For my last two moves, we paid professional movers and everything went well; I'll never move myself again. No damage, no problems. We packed outselves, but next time I'll even pay them to do that too. (And because you know I live in the same part of the world that you live in, I'll mention them: Beltway Movers. Their website has the obvious, predictable name. There are certainly other good moving companies in the area). Good luck.