Saturday, August 26, 2006

Learning to be a Homemaker

Living alone is clearly turning me into Suzy Homemaker. Living alone is forcing me to really fend for myself and to not rely on my roommate to take care of me. Before if there was a problem or something was broken, I knew my roommate would fix it or take care of it. But now if something needs to be done, I have to do it all by my lonesome self. And if I don’t do it, then it will never get done.

For instance, since I have no furniture in my living room, I decided that this would be a good time to steam vacuum my carpet. My carpet was really gross and I tend to vacuum it once in a blue moon. When I walk on it, it feels nappy and sticky. And since I have been sitting on the floor I have really noticed how disgusting it is. And its amazing how I have no furniture, but the living room looks like a tornado went through it strewing everything I own all over the place. I seriously don’t know how to pick up after myself, but I’m going to work on that.

So I went and rented the steam vac from Giant and set to work cleaning my carpets. First, I had to pick up all my shit off the floor and find a new place to dump it. Currently its all residing in my room since I also wanted to steam vac my roommate’s old room before I move into it. Then I had to dry vacuum it to pick up any dirt or hair. By the way, I love my new vacuum cleaner. It’s a bagless Dirt Devil, and its so freaking cute and it always amazes me to see how much dirt, dust, and hair it can pick up. Who knew I was such a dork?

Once that was done, it was time to get down to business. The steam vac was actually really easy to work once I actually read the directions. I hate reading directions. Usually when I get something new, I just start pushing all the buttons until I figure out how to work it. I thought it was going to take me forever to clean my carpets, but it only took about an hour to finish both rooms. The steam vac uses a lot of water though, so I did have to refill it a few times. And it was so foul to see all the dirty black water every time I emptied the thing. It grossed me out thinking that I usually plop my ass on the carpet all the time.

And now that it’s done, I’m really proud of myself for taking on the task and actually finishing it. I didn’t ask for any help. I did it all by myself, and I think my carpet looks so much cleaner. I couldn’t get out all the nastiness, but it doesn’t look as bad as it did before. I really am going to do my best to keep my apartment clean and orderly. I need to start picking up after myself instead of waiting until I have piles accumulated everywhere. I’m going to implement my new cooking skills and cook a meal once a week. I might be Suzy Homemaker worthy after all.

No comments: