Saturday, August 12, 2006

Cooking 101: Part 2

I had my 2nd cooking class the other night. And yay, my stalker did not show up! But he did call me twice that day and left me a message to call him back. Me, being the big baby that I am, did not call him back. My excuse in class was going to be that I was in training all day and never got his message. I wonder if he called to let me know that he wasn’t going to be in class. Oh well.

I was so dreading going to class. I was like, what am I going to say to this guy, I don’t want to partner up with him again. I got there so freaking early cause there was no traffic on the beltway. Instead of sitting in the same seat from last time, I sat up front and prayed that someone else would sit up front with me. Luckily another woman walked in behind me and sat next to me. And she was super doper nice. For the first part of class I refused to look behind me. When I finally did, I scanned the entire classroom and realized that he wasn’t there. Relief swept all over me. I could relax and enjoy the class.

This class was much better than the last one. We made red snapper with some nice sauce, lentil (WTF is a lentil?) and potato salad, and yummy chocolate chip cookies. I actually love to bake and can make pretty much anything from scratch, so I was in my prime for the cookie part. And the fish was actually really good. I may have to try that recipe on my own. Shocker and scary all at the same time. My mother is way too excited.

But the best part of the night was this poor kid. He looks to be about 18, in his first year of college and wants to learn how to cook. The first class the kid cut himself with the knife. I think it was a minor cut cause all he needed was a band-aid. But this class he took it to the next level. Somehow and I’m not sure how, cause he was sitting three rows behind me, this kid burns his hand with scalding hot oil. Let me just say, ouch. It looked like he was testing to see how hot the oil was by putting his hand in the pan. He had to put his hand in ice-cold water and his skin was already puffing up and breaking. The teacher told him he needed to go to the hospital cause the burn was just that bad. Poor kid. I will be shocked if I see him in the next class. And I’ll also be worried if he does show up, he might end up burning the entire place down with his luck. Some people are just not meant to cook and clearly he is one of them.

1 comment:

KJ said...

LOL... and I thought YOU were a disaster in the kitchen... ha ha ha... poor kid.

BTW - a Lentil is a type of seed/bean... found mostly in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cooking. It's not my favorite... but I made a yummy lentil and rice salad the other day... a recipe that I learned from my cooking school... Everyday Italian on the FOOD Network... ha ha.