Saturday, August 05, 2006

Just Friends



Last night I stayed in and caught up on some movies. I watched Just Friends starring hottie Ryan Reynolds and some other people.

The movie was a two. There were some funny moments, but it was pretty predictable. Reynolds plays Chris, who was once fat and in love with his best friend, Jamie, played by Amy Smart, who only likes him as a friend. Hence the title. Ten years pass by and Chris is back in his home town, looking as hot as can be, but also a bit of a playa, which is a complete 180 from his dorky high school self. He now works in the entertainment industry and is accompanied by Samantha James, played by Anna Faris. Who by the way, steals the movie. Her character is a mix between Paris Hilton and Courtney Love. She is hysterical.

So basic plot line, Chris runs into Jamie, and of course still has feelings for her. He tries to be his new cool self to win her over, but that doesn’t do it. He then reverts back to his nerdy persona but has competition from Chris Klein who plays some dude. Poor Chris is stuck back in the friends zone, and isn’t quite sure how to dig himself out of it. In the end true love conquers all, and Chris and Jamie finally get it right.

Like I said, the movie was ok. To be honest, I’m not really sure what Chris saw in Jamie. Her character was really boring and I’m not sure what Chris saw in her to still be pining over her 10 years later. Which made me start to think. Can you really still be in love with someone after 10 years of not ever seeing them? I mean, can a person love someone that much and just never get over them? How can you not move on? How can you not let go? Do we never get over someone we love? You always see movies and read books that have this basic plot line. A long lost love comes back into your life and you realize that you’ve never stopped loving them. And fate has brought them back together for a second chance and its up to them to walk down that road. And I wonder how true this is to real life. Are there just some people in your life that you’ll never get over? Does that mean you’ll get a second chance with them, or just hold on to what might have been? I don’t think there are any real answers to my questions. And I’m trying to decide if there is anyone in my life that I’m still holding on to. Only I could turn a movie like Just Friends into such a thinkfest.

No comments: