Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Sometimes NiceGuys Don't Win or Lose

I just realized that I never gave an update on the Mr. NiceGuy situation. And for the record, the Va-Jay-Jay is not on lockdown because of him. It’s for another person entirely, and perhaps one day when I have the emotional time and energy, I will divulge the whole torrid affair.

After our fourth attempt at a date, I came to the conclusion that there isn’t any real chemistry between us and it’s not fair to continue going out with him and faking it. So I knew I had to tell him the truth, and get it over with, but I’m the biggest pussy there is and just avoided dealing with it.

I was hoping he would do the fade out. I love the fade out. I have employed the fade out twice, and both times success! The fade out is perfect for passive-aggressives like me. I’m sure I have been on the receiving end of a fade out, but I cannot recollect any examples to vent about. Either way, Mr. NiceGuy is too nice to do the fade out and deserves better than the fade out from me.

We played a nice little game of phone tag, but eventually we were finally able to track one another down and the conversation was so easy. I cannot believe I was so apprehensive about it.

After we did some idle chit-chat, I kinda blurted out, “Before we hang out again, there is something I wanted to say.”

He responds, “I have a feeling I know what you’re going to say, but please go ahead.”

So I tell him that while I enjoy spending time with him, I believe that we have no real chemistry and that’s its just not there.

(I notice when I’m nervous, I tend to talk really, really, really fast. For those of you who know me in real life, I’m already a fast-talker, so you can just imagine that I uttered this in one fastsentencethatwasajumbleofwords)

And to my surprise and delight, he was in complete agreeance with me! There were no hard feelings, and a huge relief swept over me. I felt so silly for thinking that he was pining over me (Vanity Smurf much?) and we ended the conversation on a bright note with promises to hang out again soon.

I actually called him last week to see how he’s been doing. We said that we would make plans soon and that he would call me. But that was over a week ago, and I haven’t heard back from him. Am I on the receiving end of a fade out? How perfect.

No comments: