Monday, July 16, 2007

My Stomach is Trying to Tell Me Something

I used to be known as having a stomach of steel. I could eat anything (well except for dairy cause apparently Asians are lactose intolerant and it took me some 27 odd years to find that one out) and nothing phased my stomach. I could eat foods that were improperly prepared or food that had been sitting in my fridge for at least two weeks, and I would be fine. No tummy ache, no gas, no acid reflux, no diaherra, and I would continue on my merry way eating whatever food I so desired.

But lately my belly has been rebelling against me. As I’ve said numerous times, I cannot cook to save my life. God help me, I try and sometimes the meal comes out decent, which I get extremely excited about and it encourages me to push further in my lacking culinary skills.

Last night, I decided to give spaghetti another chance. I was going to learn from my past mistakes and not allow the noodles to boil for 30 minutes, nor was I going to dump an entire pound of noodles into the sauce. I took a handful of pasta and let it boil for 15 minutes, I browned the meat and dumped that into the sauce and allowed that to simmer, and I even had some salad to go along with the meal.

Everything smelled delicious and it didn’t take that long for the meal to come together. I was mighty impressed with my dinner and felt tremendous satisfaction in my cooking skills. But then 20 minutes later, my stomach started feeling queasy, and I got uncomfortable and made a run to the toilet. Not good.

I really have no idea what went wrong with my meal. I made sure to cook the meat completely, I bought new sauce and the salad was fresh too. I have no clue what set my tummy off like that.

What’s even worse is that I have been in pain all day, feeling quite gaseous and nauseated. I ate five chalky Tums, and it didn’t help (I’m beginning to believe that Tums does shit for you). The poor lady next to me on the treadmill must have been dying because I kept burping smelly burps the entire time I was running. Perhaps running wasn’t such a great idea. Either way, I still feel like absolute poo and I keep burping.

Is it really bad that my stomach can’t stomach my own cooking? Is there no hope for me? Maybe I should just quit spaghetti and stick with chicken, although I did get sick last week from eating my leftover chicken dinner at lunch (that I obviously made). Maybe I just didn’t heat it up all the way? Or perhaps my body just hates my cooking and is subtly telling me to just give it up.

No comments: