Monday, January 15, 2007

Reason Number One

I am home sick today from work with a slight cold. I decided to do at least one productive thing and head to the grocery store. My fridge is desperately lacking some food. I realize that my blog is entitled “Suzy Homemaker is NOT who I am” and feel I need to elaborate a bit more on the title.

As I’ve mentioned before, I cannot cook to save my life. I can easily burn water or toast. My specialties include PBJ sandwiches, cereal, and cheese and crackers. I tried to take cooking classes, and the only thing I really learned was that you shouldn’t stick your hand in a vat of boiling oil. It really wasn’t for me and I haven’t really cooked since then.

For the past few weeks my diet has consisted on ice cream, bowls of cereal, microwave pizzas, PBJ sandwiches, and potato skins. Not very healthy. And I always say that I’m going to cook a meal at least once a week, but when I get home from work, after sitting in traffic, I’m just tired and in no mood to slave away in front of the stove. It is much easier to microwave something or put something in a bowl.

So today when I went grocery shopping, I knew I probably wouldn’t cook anything this week, but at least tried to buy healthier items. I bought a whole rotisserie chicken, some rice, salad and frozen vegetables. I figure I can eat the chicken all week and prepare it differently each night. And while frozen vegetables aren’t the best, it’s better than nothing.

I’ve said it before; I just don’t get any satisfaction from cooking. Even when I am cooking for someone else, I still don’t enjoy it. I like to eat fine meals, and since I can’t cook fine meals, I get no enjoyment from eating my own food. It takes me forever to prepare even a simple dish, and since I barely have time for myself, I don’t want to spend it cooking. I do like to bake though, but baking is very different from cooking.

This is just reason number 1 on why I am not meant to be a homemaker. Further posts will elaborate more on this topic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I believe I need to cook for you one night! Sean