Sunday, January 28, 2007

20 Books

In 2006 I read 11 books that I can recall. I may have read two or three more in the beginning of the year, but cannot recollect, so I will stick with the number 11. My goal for 2007 is to read at least 20 books. I decided on this ambitious goal after one of my favorite blogs, 50 Books. She reads 50 books a year and on top of that is a mother of an infant. I have no idea how she finds the time to read 50 books, but if she can do it, then hell, I can read 20 in a year.

She did an analysis of her reading patterns and here is mine. I tend to read female authors over male authors. Part of the reason is that I’m female and enjoy reading books about relationships (family, friends, and lovers type) and male authors except for Nicolas Sparks don’t really write about that sort of thing. I don’t really like period novels, unless it’s a trashy romance novel, then I’ll only read period novels. (I actually learn a lot of random facts from historical romance books that help me out in Jeopardy all the freaking time!) The four male authors I read, one was a suspenseful thriller, two were memoirs about their dogs, and the last was a book about family and autism. I hate to say it, but when I’m looking for a suspenseful thriller, I tend to look for a male author because I think they have a better point of view and can capture a story better than a female writer. I do think Elizabeth Kostova did a decent job in The Historian, but I wouldn’t classify that book as a thriller.

And while I bitch and moan about chick lit, I still love to read it. Although I can’t read too many in a row because after awhile it’s the same story, different day with a new plot of characters. And while I did not list any romance novels, I’m sure I read at least 2-3. I love a good trashy romance novel. Its great escapism and every woman wants to believe that they have a soul mate and an everlasting love out there. Whenever I’m feeling lonely or depressed, I grab a romance novel and it cheers me up greatly.

I think my favorite book for 2006 was The Time Traveler’s Wife. It had a different plot and was so moving and thoughtful and had me bawling my eyes out. It had such a neat take on relationships and how we perceive time and love. If you haven’t already read this book, then you should.

For 2007, I am going to try and diversify my list and branch out and read more male authors. And perhaps a period novel, and maybe even a non-fiction because I hardly ever read non-fiction. I really want to get back to reading more, so hopefully this will be the push that I need.

No comments: