Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Can You Keep a Secret?

After reading a few serious books in a row, I needed a break from all the stuffiness and wanted a book that I knew I could finish before the release of the new Harry Potter. I went for standard chick-lit and picked up Can You Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella.

As you may recall, I have read Kinsella before and this book was exactly what I was looking for. It was fun, humorous and light-hearted reading that I easily breezed through. And I love British novels; they have such a wit about them.

Emma Corrigan finds herself on a plane that is encountering some heavy turbulence. She believes this is the end and begins to spill her deepest, darkest secrets to the passenger next to her. Of course the plane doesn’t crash and she is highly embarrassed, but thinks nothing more of it since she’ll never see this man again.

Wrong! The man next to her turns out to be Jack Harper, the CEO of her company, and he now knows everything there is to know about Emma. She tries her best to avoid Jack, but work keeps bringing them closer together. And she can’t deny her attraction to him.

They begin a budding relationship and things seem to be going well. But then Emma’s worst nightmare comes true when Jack spills all of her secrets on national television. She is hurt, confused, but most of all betrayed by Jack’s actions. Will she ever be able to trust him? Will he ever tell her his deepest secrets?

This was a fun read, but I did find Emma’s character annoying at times. In the beginning she seemed like a pathological liar, but redeemed herself in my eyes by standing up for herself with Jack and not allowing him to walk all over her. It was a cute, fun story, typical chick-lit.

No comments: