Monday, July 23, 2007

The Final Chapter

I, along with the other crazed fanatics, picked up Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows at midnight on Friday at my local Borders (Do I get cool points because I left a bar at midnight or does that just make the story worse?). Anticipation was building and I was standing there in line, and all the faces of the people around me were excited.

Some came in costume, wearing dark long robes, others were rapidly discussing their theories on Harry’s fate: Will he destroy Voldermort or will Voldermort be triumphant in the end (remember “for neither can live while the other survives”), while others cheered as the book touched their hands. I was a bit more reserved, waiting patiently in line until it was my turn.

Once I had the book in my possession, I gazed lovingly at the cover and opened it up to read the jacket, which stated simply, “We now present the seventh and final installment in the epic tale of Harry Potter.” As much as I wanted to lay in bed and start reading, I knew better, I would never get any sleep if I were to do that and Saturday was going to be a busy day for me.

I want to take my time with this book and enjoy it and not rush to find out what happens at the end. I didn’t start reading until Sunday and have so far read 300 pages (most of the reading done on Sunday). I’m close to being halfway finished with it, and I am excited, scared and sad all at once.

I didn’t jump onto the Harry Potter bandwagon until much later into the game. When I had first picked up my copy of The Sorcerer’s Stone, J.K. Rowling had already written four books regarding young Harry. Several of my friends had read it, and I thought they were crazy to be so engrossed in a child’s book. It was summer and I was bored so I caved in to see what all the hype was about.

I was instantly hooked from page 1. I couldn’t put the book down and ended up reading all four books in less than a month. Each book gripped me and grew more complex and had such great surprises and amazing characters. I finally joined the Harry Potter club. It took me awhile, but I am a life long member.

And now we are at the last chapter in Harry’s life. I cannot wait to see how it will end, but am also saddened that the journey is now over. No more heightened anticipation for the next book, it will all end in these final pages. But I will get to go back and relive every moment and read how the story unfolds from start to finish.

2 comments:

Vril said...

I read the book too, and i loved it. It definitely was the best. If you are looking for something to read in the future, possibly in the next couple years, i wrote a book and i am also getting it published. You can look at my profile.

Kim's World said...

Hey Vril,

Thanks for stopping by!