Thursday, January 17, 2008

Let it Snow!

Today we finally had our first substantial snow fall in the DC area. It's probably only about three inches, but it was enough for my manager to let us out early, so for that I can't complain. Call me crazy, but I have been hankering for a blizzard. There hasn't been a real blizzard since the Blizzard of '96. I remember there being only in early 2000, but it didn't have the same impact as the '96 one.



In '96, I was still in high school, and school was closed for at least a week and all my finals were canceled. Every morning I got up, put on my snow pants, walked over to my bestfriend's house and went sledding all day. We would only go inside for hot chocolate breaks or if the cold became unbearable. It was awesome and I didn't once get cabin fever since we spent most of our day outside playing in the snow.



I think this area is long overdue for a blizzard. I want to get snowed in for a week. I have the perfect plan for my blizzard. I'll make sure to stock up on lots of good eats such as marshmallows, graham crackers and chocolate, tomato soup, cheese and bread, fish sticks and french fries. I'll start my Lord of the Rings marathon and then my Harry Potter marathon. I'll lay in bed all snuggled and warm reading books and drinking hot chocolate. When I get cabin fever, I'll take the Weasley out for some fresh air and make little snow angels and snow cats. I'll ask the neighborhood kids if I can join them sledding and help them make snow forts.



I want a real winter with lots of snow. I want to stand outside, with my eyes closed, letting the snowflakes kiss my face, as I try and catch them with my tongue. I want the snow to continue falling as I go to sleep at night and wake up with the trees and grass blanketed in sea of white. It sounds so magical, but I know I'll be eating my words if a real blizzard hits. But I still want one all the same.

1 comment:

James said...

My cousins and I dug a tunnel from the back porch to the barn during the '06 storm. Freaking sweet.