Sunday, January 27, 2008

Screen Shots

Last week I got to go to the Ansel Adams exhibit, which was a really good and displayed a variety of his work. Not only did you get to view his famous landscape photos, but also some of his earlier work and other projects that caught his interest. It’s amazing how he can capture a moment in time so vividly. There were some pictures where I could stare endlessly, lost in thought, analyzing the details and emotions it evoked in me.

I’ve always had an interest in art and photography. I wouldn’t in any means call myself an artist. I can barely draw a stick figure and make it look believable. I tried taking a watercolor class, but I don’t have the imagination or the skill and all my efforts looked heinous. So instead, I appreciate artwork. One day I hope to have a great art collection hanging in my home (all originals of course).

I do like to take pictures, and again, it’s not even a real hobby or passion, but on a rare occasion I take a picture that I just love. Maybe I had the perfect lightening, or its one of my favorite subjects, but there are some pictures that I love to look at over and over again. I pull them out and say I’m going to frame it or enlarge it.

Here are some of my favorites pictures from California when I was visiting my brother.



I love this photograph of my brother and me. I like that our faces came out blurry and that we aren’t standing side by side. I love the rays of sunlight seeping in through the redwoods and we just look so tiny and minimal compared to the massive beauty of the trees.



I took this picture of a redwood because I was just amazed at the size of it. If you look closely, there is a charred trunk in the middle from a forest fire, and the surrounding trees grew around the dead tree. I also like the splash of green that comes out from the leaves.



Again, another shot with sunlight shinning through. I love how the sunlight lightens up the background and plays with the shadow of the trees. This picture speaks of serenity to me.



Here is a contrasting photograph where the sunlight is trying to peak through and instead you get nothing but shadow and darkness. The only color that really pops in the picture is the green from the leaves. The trunks look like huge black formidable pillars that reach into the sky.

I think I will make this a series in my blog where I post my favorite pictures.

2 comments:

KJ said...

Look at you little Miss Photographer! Who knew.

Bernie said...

Wow, I had no idea you were into photography and good at it too. Ansel Adams is one of my favorites and I procrastinated so long that I missed that exhibit at the Cocoran. Landscape photography is my personal favorite ( to shoot as well as to view). Two of my favorite contemporary photographers you should check out (in books and online more than in exhibits) are John Shaw and David Muench.