Saturday, March 17, 2007

California pt 2

Where did I leave off? Oh yes, I was playing with a baby and really could care less for it. This is actually reason number 2 of why I’m not cut out to be a homemaker, but I’ll get to that for another time. The next day, Bogey and I hit the slopes. I originally wanted to visit during the spring, but Bogey convinced me to come out earlier so that we could go snowboarding up at Lake Tahoe.

I chickened out and went skiing instead since I’m much better at it. But not really. Cause I spent most of my time on my ass instead of skiing. I actually forgot how to ski. The first time I came off the lift, I immediately fell. I then forgot how to steer myself, how to stop, and how to pick myself back up when I fell. Quite pathetic. Bogey forced me to go down the slopes though and was patient and followed me the entire time. I was doing really well for a while there, but when we started hitting the steeper slopes, fear wrenched me and took over. I was frozen and forgot about all the progress that I was making earlier. After numerous falls and pit stops, I was finally able to make it down the mountain. It probably took us close to 4 hours to make 3 runs.

The view from the mountaintop was breathtaking. You could see the lake and it went for miles. It was ice blue and looked so calm. The air was so fresh. My lungs felt great breathing it all in. The world looked so peaceful and clean up there. I was memorized by the scenery.

Man was I sore the next day. I could barely lift my arms above my shoulders. It hurt to walk. That day we took it easy and visited Muir Woods, which houses the beautiful redwood trees. The trees were magnificent. They just towered and loomed over us and I felt so small, but in a good way. You definitely don’t see trees like that on the East Coast.

That evening we ate at a sushi restaurant called Sushi Ran that has a month long waiting list! We just happened to walk up before it opened and asked if they had any tables. They replied if we came exactly at 5:30, they could squeeze us at the sushi bar. I’m not a huge fan of sushi and ended up getting this phenomenal scallops dish. It was like butter. The scallops were so sweet and juicy. Delicious!

My last full day there we went shopping in Union Square. Bogey bought me this beautiful Coach bag for my b-day gift. I told you I would collect from him! I used some gift cards and he paid the difference. Isn’t she pretty? I love it!

I also rode the trolley from Union Square to Fisherman’s Wharf to buy my Mom some taffy. I think it’s so cool that they still have the trolley system, but I bet if I were a driver behind one of them I would be pissed.

I love how different California is from the East Coast, especially the Bay Area. The landscape is truly amazing. There are hills, canyons, and beaches all within miles of one another. San Francisco reminds me a lot like a cleaner New York City. It has that great city feeling, but a lot more laid back than New York. And I love being on top of a mountain and looking down to see the Bay Area. It’s so pretty.

Overall the trip was very enjoyable. The weather was perfect and it was great to spend time with my brother. He kept asking me when I was going to move out there. Its definitely tempting right now. It’d be nice to live there and experience something different. Maybe I’ll get over my fear of moving away from here and do it.

No comments: