Sunday, November 04, 2007

It's Official: My New Home

Yay so I’m finally all moved in and unpacked. Closing went without a hitch and I’m officially a homeowner. Or as my friend Matt says, I now just pay the bank rent. It’s weird to be sitting here in my new home. It’s slowly starting to sink in that I don’t rent anymore and that I can call this place home.

Living room

I already have ideas on what colors I want to paint and things I want to renovate/upgrade. I would like to install some recessed lightning for the living room and update the vanity in the bedroom. Besides that everything else looks really nice. The previous owner added a half bathroom on the main level, upgraded the kitchen, and added custom shelves in the bedroom and on the main level. I have stainless steel appliances, new cabinetry, new countertops and new tile floors. It all looks very nice.

Living Room

I love how big my bedroom is. My bedroom furniture is a bit ginormous, but it all fits in nicely with plenty of room to spare. I am adding more shelves to my walk-in closet, since I lost the hall closet with the half-bath being downstairs. My coats and jackets alone can take up an entire closet! It’s a dirty addiction.

Currently computer area, but one day dining room

I love the fact that this is a two-level unit. It gives the place a town-homey type feel than apartment. It also makes the house seem bigger. And I’ll get a workout going up and down the stairs. Having a powder room on the main level is awesome. I won’t have to worry about guest having to use my bathroom in my bedroom. That half-bath was a huge buying point for me, and from what I understand is the only unit in the community to have that.

Kitchen

I am glad to be out of my current apartment. When Best Friend Ever and I first moved there over three years ago (I can’t believe its been that long), the community was really nice, but over the years it has gotten a bit ghetto. I won’t miss hearing gunshots and then hearing helicopters hovering over my apartment looking for the shooter (although I wasn’t too bothered when it happened, even though BFE knocked on my door frightened). There weren’t gang shootings every night, but the population in the place is shifting towards that. I do have some great memories from living there, but I’m ready to move on and forward.

Bedroom

Overall I am really happy with my condo. I think it was a blessing in disguise that I didn’t get the other place. My new home is bigger and closer in than the last one, and while it may not be brand new the amenities are just as nice. I may not be living next door to BFE, but she’s only a 15-minute drive. While I didn’t fall in love at first sight with this place, after having all my stuff in here, I’m beginning to really enjoy it. I think I will be very happy here and am ready to create new memories.

Custom shelves in bedroom

2 comments:

Bernie said...

Nice. Congratulations!!

j892fhfha98 said...

Kim,

Hi. I couldn't find your email so I'll leave you a comment... I'm a web designer/marketer and I just helped Dave Ford redesign his blog and move it to a new domain (www.daveforddoesearth.com).

I was hoping that you could update your link on your blogroll to reflect the new URL. Dave would really appreciate it and I'm sure he'd be willing to link to you as well.

Regards,

Bob C