Monday, May 28, 2007

Crazy Busy Weekend = Hella Good Time

This weekend was another fun-filled crazy busy weekend, but not as hectic as last weekend. The weekend was great and I had a blasty blast, but will look forward to when things slow down a bit and I can sit back and relax.

Saturday night I took my cousins and their friend to Apex, a gay club in DC. My friend Kiah came along for the ride. I never offered to take my cousins out before because I honestly didn’t think they wanted to go out and didn’t seem like the type that likes clubs or bars. I think the main reason they wanted to go out was because they had a friend in town, who likes to party. I was actually nervous cause I kept thinking, “What if my cousins are closeted freaks? OMG, I will die if that’s the case.”

It turns out my cousins aren’t closeted freaks, and I think Kiah and I had a better time than they did. We danced our asses off and gawked at all the gorgeous men. Such a shame too; so many beautiful men and none wanted anything to do with us. I felt like the roles were reversed. Usually when I go to a club, men will try to creep up behind you and start dancing with you. I liken them to vultures. This time I felt like I was a vulture, trying to sneak up on a guy so I could get my freak on. At least I could dance unabashedly and not worry about some boy trying to grab me inappropriately.

Sunday was Gwen’s wedding. The wedding ceremony was so beautiful. It was outside and it was performed right before a huge thunderstorm. It wasn’t too hot and since a storm was coming, there was a nice breeze in the air. Gwen looked so beautiful and her husband, Mike, had a smile on his face the entire time. Their friend officiated the wedding, and told fun stories about the couple, which made it that much more intimate. It took Gwen and Mike seven long years to make it to the altar, but well worth the wait.

Her cake was stunning. She made it herself and pictures do not do it justice. Each flower on that cake is handmade and hand-painted. The flowers match the flowers in her bouquet. Gwen spent days up to the wedding making all the flowers for it. I didn’t want them to cut the cake; it was too pretty. It tasted great too.



The reception was lots of fun. Not as fun as Sylvia’s, but still a good time. The DJ played a lot of oldies and swing music. Gwen and Mike are big into swing dancing, and apparently all of their friends are too. Everyone was on the dance floor, swinging around. The clumsy girl that I am cannot partake in coordinated dancing, or dancing where someone leads me. I stumble and trip over my own two feet and just feel plain stupid out there. I am much better dancing on my own, shaking my hips.

Gwen and Mike looked so happy. Both were beaming all throughout the night. I am so happy that they have made it to this point in their lives. Gwen deserves nothing but the best, and Mike is truly her perfect match.

I am such a sucker for weddings. I love them. I love seeing two people committing themselves to one another in front of their family and friends. I love seeing the bride aglow with happiness and the groom standing tall with pride as she walks down the aisle. I love witnessing the couple’s first dance as they gaze tenderly into each other’s eyes, lost to the world around them. It’s such a cherished moment and I’m always glad to be a part of it. What can I say, deep down, I'm a hopeless romantic.

No comments: