Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mom's Day!

This weekend is Mother’s Day. And while I firmly believe that Mother’s Day has become another commercialized holiday, I will not gripe over celebrating it. I love my Mother very much and appreciate everything that she has ever done for me. I will gladly give her a day to celebrate her being my Mom and all the hard work that goes into it. I just hate feeling obligated to do something because Hallmark tells me to. Unlike my Mother, I hate giving unpractical gifts. I like them to have meaning, but also I like for the person to be able to use them in some way. She is notorious for collecting useless junk. And I really hate to add to her collection. I usually only add to her junk collection during Christmas since we give each other multiple gifts.

This year for Mom’s Day, I got my mother 2 sets of placemats. In typical Mom fashion, she can’t just have ordinary placemats, she wants fancy ones. The placemats that she wants have a hard finish with some type of artwork on the top and a cork bottom. The ones she currently has are old and getting worn out.


And of course I couldn’t find these placemats anywhere. I looked in all the standard department stores, but all they had were cloth placemats. I even looked on-line at places like Pier 1 and Crate and Barrel and still no luck. I was really banking on getting her them too because I couldn’t think of anything else that she wanted/needed.

Finally inspiration struck and I remembered there is this store called English Trading Company in Tysons that sells English stuff. For some reason, I believe these placemats are English, and viola I was correct! So the store had the placemats that I was looking for. A set of 4 placemats cost $40 bones, which is a bit redic if you ask me. Stupid import rate. The lady better put them to good use and not complain about her gift.

But in all seriousness; thank you Mom for being such a great mother and for doing such a great job raising me. I know that I have not made it easy on you at times and we have had numerous battles to the death. Through all the fights, I know how much you love me and am so glad that you are my Mother. I love you Mom.

No comments: