Monday, December 11, 2006

I Need a Little Holiday Cheer

I took the day off today to start and hoped to finish all my Christmas shopping. As I’ve mentioned before I’m a bit of a Scrooge. I truly don’t hate Christmas and I don’t hate giving people presents; I just don’t get super excited during this time of year. I don’t feel the holiday cheer and don’t enjoy decorating my place up for the Christmas spirit. I have never seen It’s a Wonderful Life or Miracle on 34th Street, and really don’t care to see either one.

Christmas was never a huge event in my family. We don’t celebrate it for religious purposes. My parents are Buddhists and only celebrated Christmas for the kids. They never told my brother and I about Santa Claus. All of our presents came from Mom and Dad. I never knew who the jolly guy was with the rosy cheeks. The first time I had my picture taken with him, I freaked out cause I had no idea why I was sitting on some random guy’s lap.

We did have a tree growing up, and my while my family did not decorate the outside of the house, my Mom did decorate the inside. As a little kid, I loved Christmas. It was my favorite time of the year. Not only were there presents, but I also had winter break, which was awesome. But as I got older and my brother stopped coming home for Christmas, the fun and excitement of that time gradually began to fade. It became another day in our household. I can’t remember the last time we had a Christmas tree in the house.

There will be some years, where the holiday spirit hits me, and I enjoy this time of year. I mean really enjoy. I’ll get a tree for the house and decorate it and really get into the season. But its been awhile since I’ve felt it. This year especially I could care less for Christmas. I’m just not feeling it this year. Try as I might, its just another stress on top of everything else I have to do.

Usually I love buying presents for my family and friends. And I really put a lot of thought into what I’m going to get them because I really want them to like the gift. But today as I’m walking around the mall I just couldn’t find anything that I liked or thought they would like. It felt more like a chore than any real pleasure of finding presents for people. So after an hour I just gave up and figured I would do it another day when I was in a better mood.

I can’t seem to pull myself out of this Scrooge funk and really would like to enjoy this holiday season.

3 comments:

Bernie said...

Nice blog!

I love the holidays because it's a nice time for friends and family to think about each other, but I HATE shopping at this time of year. I bought almost all presents online this year.

Happy Holidays.

Bernie (the one you used to work with).

KJ said...

aww boo... I wanted to post a fun picture to get you in the holiday mood... but it won't let me. I'll have to settle for the web address...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/kdb2185/file1132width421height278.jpg

Check that out.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Kim's World said...

Hey Bernie!

How are you doing? I've been reading up on your blog, but have yet to comment, but I'm there reading along with everyone else.

Glad to know that there are still some familiar faces over at CC. Its crazy!

And Kiah,

I tried to view the link you sent me, but nothing came up. Boo.