Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas Eve Eve

Thank God Christmas is just two days away! Finally we can celebrate the Commercialization of Christmas (new phrase that my co-worker and I came up with) and move on with our lives. Cause seriously, isn’t that really all that we are celebrating? Christmas has become another retail holiday like Valentine’s Day, where people are expected to show their love from one another by how much money they spent on that person.

Case in point; the other day I called my Mother and the first thing she asked me, even before she said “Hello” was, “What have you boughten me?” in that sing-song voice of hers. I responded with, “Greedy! What makes you think I have bought you anything?” And then we both giggle over it all. But seriously, my Mom asked me that. Now I know where I get it.

And I seriously hate shopping for presents, especially for my Mom. She is the pickiest woman in the world and will most likely return about 1/3 of the presents I got her. And I can’t just buy her a gift card even though it’s practical because she thinks they are impersonal. So I’m stuck buying her gifts hoping that she will like them, and always making sure to ask for a gift receipt because she will most likely return it. Le Sigh.

Dad is much easier to shop for. Just look in his closet to see what he needs. And viola, you are done. Bogey and his fiancĂ©, even easier, I just gift card them. My friends and I have stopped giving each other gifts except for Best Friend Ever and I since we are family. Now that we aren’t living together it was a little harder to figure out what she wanted. So that took some time and effort, but I know she really liked what I got her.

So all the presents are bought and accounted for. Now comes the 2nd hassle of wrapping and God help me cause I’m awful at it. But nothing is better on Christmas morning than giving a present to Bear to have him help open it. He loves it, so I do it for him. Wait till you see the pics. So effing cute.

No comments: