Monday, September 18, 2006

Movie Reviews

This weekend I was able to catch up on my Netflix movies. Actually I watched Scarface two weeks ago, but just haven’t had the time to write about it. Can I just say that I hated Scarface? The first time I tried to watch this movie was back in high school and I didn’t really see much of it since I was watching it with a boy and we ended up making out the entire time. Now Scarface is supposed to be this legendary gangsta movie, which every rapper idolizes. I’m a huge fan of mafia movies, and this is maybe where I made the mistake with Scarface. I love the classic mafia movies such as The Godfather, Goodfellas, and Bugsy. And to me Scarface just wasn’t up to par with those other movies. It didn’t even come close to it. I know that Scarface is supposed to show the harsh brutality of that lifestyle, but to me that harsh reality made everything seem bleak and demoralizing. I think it was the title character Tony Montana that I despised the most. To me he had not one redeeming quality. Which I guess proves what a great actor Al Pacino is because I thought he was amazing playing Michael Corlone in The Godfather.

I actually didn’t even finish watching the movie, that’s how much I did not like it. Maybe if I stuck with it, I might have enjoyed it a little bit, but I highly doubt it. So I’m very disappointed that I didn’t like it, but I can see why others might.

On a brighter note, I saw The Hunt for the Red October and really enjoyed it. I’ve seen all the other Jack Ryan movies and this one was probably the best one out of the series. Although I do love Clear and Present Danger. I have tried to read Tom Clancy’s novels before and I just can’t get into it. His jargon can become too technical and there is always a zillion subplots to follow that I get lost in the maze. But his movies translates well on film. I even enjoyed Ben Affleck’s Jack Ryan in The Sum of All Fears.

I love how this movie is supposed to be about a Russian submarine that goes missing, but all the actors who play Russian don’t have Russian accents. I think Sean Connery is a terrific actor, but he will never be able to get rid of his Scottish brogue. He may look Russian, but once you hear him speak, its almost silly. And I could never live in a submarine. I am deathly claustrophobic and seeing how enclosed everything was I felt suffocated. Good thing I never have to be on a submarine.

Overall, a good movie. And I hope that Ben continues to play Jack Ryan in future movies cause I still think he’s dreamy.

1 comment:

Kim's World said...

I think Affleck did a fine job as Jack Ryan. He has proven to me that he can handle a role such as that.