Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Another Survey

So I found this survey on 50 Books. I love this blog, and I love to read, so I thought, why the heck not. So enjoy.

1) A book that changed your life.
I had to think about this for a while. I have read a lot of books and I really wanted to pick a book that either defined me or altered me in some way. I came up with Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. I read this book in middle school, and this was the first book where I ever cried from reading it. This book is about a boy and his two dogs. I’m an avid animal lover, so already the book got me. This was the first time that I got emotionally involved with a book that it brought me to tears when I was done reading it. After reading this book, I could appreciate a good story and the intricacies of telling it. My love of reading only grew more from there.

2) A book you’ve read more than once.
Besides all my trashy romance novels! Hands down this would have to be The Godfather by Mario Puzo. I love the movie, but I’m a bigger fan of the book. The story is beautiful and really captures the essence of that time period and that lifestyle. Mario Puzo does such a brilliant job of humanizing these characters and making you feel empathy for them. Don Corlone is not just a mafia chief, he’s also a father who loves his family and will do anything to shelter and protect them. I can read that book over and over again, and never get tired from it.

3) A book you’d want on a deserted island.
Hmm, this is a tough one, cause you want to pick something that you know you won’t get sick of reading over and over again. It’s got to be interesting enough to always capture your attention while reading it. I picked The Complete Works by William Shakespeare. I’ve always loved William Shakespeare. My favorite play of his would have to be Romeo and Juliet. I love Shakespeare so much, that I even took a lit course in college. I picked his Complete Works because Shakespeare does it all from comedies, tragedies, to histories. I have so many works to choose from and depending on my mood I will always be able to find something of his to read.

4) A book that made you giddy.
I’m such a dork. All the Harry Potter Books by J.K. Rowling. I love them!!!! It took me a long time to jump onto the Harry Potter bandwagon. All my friends were reading them in college, and I thought they were seriously lame for reading a children’s book. It was during the summer, and I just couldn’t find anything interesting to read. And since all my friends wouldn’t stop raving about these stupid books, I decided to go to the library and rent one. After reading the first few chapters, I was hooked. I literally could not put the book down. I read the first book in about a day, and went back and rented the next 3 all at once. Harry Potter brings back my imagination and makes me giddy with memories of my youth. I love how each book grows off the other one and you can see the development of the characters. J.K. Rowling isn’t afraid to make each book darker and I applaud her for not sugar coating any of the deaths. But I am scared cause she is in the process of writing Book 7 and I will be deeply upset if she kills off Harry.

5) A book you wish had been written.
I’m going to be vain, and say my book. All my dreams and hopes of ever writing a book are slowly being diminished. I’ve always wanted to write a book and I believe I have a point of view to tell, but is it realistic of me to say its ever going to be written. Highly doubtful.

6) A book that wracked you with sobs.
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I’m notorious for reading a beginning of a book and then skipping to the end to see what happens. It’s my instant gratification and the fact that I can’t read fast enough to my liking. And I really wish I had read this book from beginning to end, but the story was just getting too good for me to not skip to the end. So I read the end, and it had me bawling for a good half and hour. If you’re a sucker for love stories, then this is such a good book. It takes a unique look at relationships and really captures true love. I’m still reading this book, but I can tell you that I will cry all over again when I reach the end.

7) A book you wish had never been written.
It’s really not fair of me to put this book down since I haven’t read it since my senior year of high school. Actually I never even finished reading it because that’s how much I hated it. The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad just bored me to death. I can’t even remember what its about. So maybe if I were to read it now, I wouldn’t hate it so much, or maybe I still would. I don’t care to ever pick it up and try again.

8) A book you’re currently reading.
I answered this in question 6. I’m also reading The Chronic of Narnia (I spelled Chronic on purpose) by C.S. Lewis. Let me tell you, it has been a struggle to read this book. I’m only on the first book, and I just can’t get pass it. Maybe it will pick up soon, but I haven’t picked it up lately. The back-story behind these books is that C.S. Lewis wrote this series to educate young children about Christianity. So I love the references to The Bible and I love the fact that I can pick up on it, but it’s a real slow read.

9) A book you’ve been meaning to read.
Too many to list. I just keep buying books and I have a stack that is just waiting for me to get through.

10) Tag 10.
Unfortunately, I only know of one other person who has a blog that reads mine. That would be Kiah. So if you’re reading Kiah, you’ve been tagged.

1 comment:

KJ said...

aww man... now I have to do it. I was thinking... oohh... maybe I'll post this on my blog... but then I changed my mind... now I have to do it. damnit.