Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I'm a Bad Mommy!

I have managed to kill another frog. I don’t know how this keeps happening, but I keep killing my pets. At the beginning of this summer I started off with four healthy frogs, and now I’m down to one. My little Dropsy is such a survivor. I’ve had him for close to a year. But I’m scared that he will follow the fate of his roommates.

I originally started off with two frogs. Best Friend Ever had named them Fred and Wilma. I called them Big Fat Frog and Little Fat Frog. Everything was fine and dandy, but I started to notice that one frog was exceptionally bigger than the other. We just thought that Big Fat Frog was eating all the food. But he was just abnormally big, so after awhile I started to do some research on the internet and found out that Poor Big Fat Frog had dropsy, which is the swelling of the body. I tried to give him some antibiotics but alas, Big Fat Frog succumbed to dropsy. Poor thing.

I was worried about the other one, which I renamed Dropsy in honor of his fallen brother. I moved him into a gold fish tank since I was pretty sure that his old tank had really dirty water. He seemed to be doing a lot better in the gold fish bowl, and I just changed his water every few days since there is no filtration system. But he developed this annoying habit of croaking all the time. I think he was lonely. I felt bad that he was living in this small gold fish bowl, so I brought out his tank again. I figured he would like the space, but he freaked out all the time. He kept trying to jump out, and I had no clue what was wrong with him.

I mentioned this to BFE. She had three frogs in her lab that no one was using for experiments so she said she would bring them home. Those fuckers were like 2x the size of Dropsy, but he seemed to like them. They actually would have cuddle parties all the time. They liked to get in a huddle and just lay on top of each other. Group orgies all the time in casa de Kim.

Things were going good for awhile, and then one day one of the Fat Fuckers up and died. With no real warning or signs of sickness. I probably had him for about a month maybe a little longer. I was upset, but what are you going to do. About a month after that, I started noticing that the biggest frog of them was getting these weird bumps on his mouth and the blood vessels in his toes started to swell. BFE said that he had frog herpes from all the cuddle parties. I guess I should’ve investigated more after I noticed those spots, but he seemed fine and he was still kicking all the other frogs out of the way when the food came around.

I also started noticing that one of the other frogs hadn’t been eating his food. This caused a little concern, but again, I didn’t think too much of it. So last week as I’m about to go test-driving, I look over at the tank and see that the frog that hadn’t been eating was at the bottom of the tank belly up. I was shocked and devastated. The poor guy had the other two frogs surrounding him as if they knew he had died and just wanted to protect and be near him. So I scooped him up and got rid of his remains.

Of course I tell my Mother that my frog died, and she kept nagging me to clean their tank. I guess I should’ve listened to her. Cause yesterday when I got home from work and dinner, the Fat Fucker with the weird bumps and legions passed away. I managed to kill two frogs within a week of each other. And poor little Dropsy is the only one left. So this weekend, I have to clean my tank cause there is definitely something wrong with the water. It’s probably some sort of bacteria and the filtration system just isn’t strong enough to handle all the algae.

Its really depressing to know that I can’t even keeps frogs alive. Especially the three frogs that were in the lab because they literally lived in a tank that barely had any water, was always murky water and was there for the sole purpose of running experiments on. I thought I was saving them from that life, but they probably suffered more at my hands because I bet their deaths were slow and painful. I hope that Dropsy will be a trooper. I’ve determined I’m done with aquatic pets.

2 comments:

KJ said...

Aaahahahahahaha... oh no! Not another one! Kim... maybe you should just give up on the Frogs... your frog tank is cursed with the wicked Dropsy.

Maybe you should get a bird instead...

Kim's World said...

Ewww, I hate birds!!! I'm already dreading when I have to baby sit my Mom's bird when she goes to Oakland. I haven't told her that I killed another frog cause then she'll get parnoid that I will kill her bird.