Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Nanny Diaries

After seeing the movie, The Nanny Diaries, I decided to pick up the book and read it. It was written by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus, who both once worked in the child- care industry. Supposedly, allegedly they state that this book is a work of fiction, but I bet a lot of what happened in this book occurred in real life to them.

Nanny (that is her actual name) works for the X’s. Mrs. X does not work, but needs a full-time nanny to raise her son Grayer. Mr. X is constantly working and doesn’t care about the family waiting for him at home. Nanny is stuck in the middle trying to uplift Grayer’s spirit while working to make Mrs. X realize that her son needs his mother.

Nanny knows that this family is abusing her, but she can’t bear to leave Grayer alone to fend for himself with these people. She sees the special little person that Grayer is and wishes that his parents could do the same. So she continues to work for the X’s while trying to maintain a sense of herself in all of this.

Normally whatever I do first (reading book first and then seeing moving or vice versa), I tend to go with my first impression. So I actually liked the movie version of this book better than the book. Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but I felt the movie captured the essence of the book better.

I particularly liked the ending of the movie. As most light-hearted movies do, the story wraps up nicely with a happy ending. The book is more realistic and doesn’t wrap everyone’s lives so nicely. I’m sure if I read the book first, I would be saying the book was way better than the movie.

The movie also showcases my dreamy new boyfriend, Chris Evans. He is so delicious and I could devour him in one single bite. There is this one scene in the movie where he is wearing a baseball cap and he looks so freaking hot. My eyes seriously glazed over from all of his yumminess. Where was I?

Oh yes, book was good, I liked the movie better.

No comments: